Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Travelling in Delhi

For the first time, I am away from home.......and so were many of my friends in the Hostel. While at home, I was ferried to and fro from the school in the Air Force Bus & then for an outing to Town it was to be with my family in the car. Inside the Air Force Camp, I would use my bicycle if need be or I would just walk.

Now here in the Hostel, we had to depend on public transportation and I was quite bewildered as to how to go about it initially. For the life of me I didn't know which bus to catch and where I should get off but I learnt quickly! Being in the North Campus, a trip to CP or to South Ex. or to GK or to.... was once in a while. We would usually be in a large group though as time passed by the size of the group diminished. Amongst us, there were girls who had done their schooling in Delhi Schools, Boarders they were and so knew Delhi quite a bit! Getting on DTC Buses was quite an adventure!

With time, we got bolder.......the Mirandian spirit I guessed had seeped into us.......instead of travelling in rickety, dirty & crowded DTC Buses.....we travelled in sweet comfort & style! Yes! We took lifts from passing cars.........but of course we tried to be careful.....we only asked from lone drivers so we could overpower in any.....eventuality and we made sure the doors could be opened from the inside!

Of course, we did use the 3 wheelers too, the Auto Rickshaw.....at times 3-4 of us tightly packed in it! What a racket it makes especially when it speeds up!

While moving in and around the Campus, it was always the Cycle Rickshaw! Sitting on it made me at least, feel quite grand! I loved the ride on a nice cool day! Three of us girls could fit in....the one in the middle would sit on the backrest!

It was fun.......those carefree college days.........how I wish I could travel back in time!

No comments: